Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Joys of Mommyhood



Sunday, November 8, 2009: Matt and I found out that our lives were about to change. After taking 4 pregnancy tests that morning, I go into the office where Matt is playing his computer game, and I tell him "Well, I think we are pregnant." He asks how sure I am and when I let him know that I am 4 pregnancy tests sure, he just calmly says alright. The next day I make a doctor's appointment and a couple weeks later, we find out for certain that in 9 months we will have another person to take care of.

Thursday, July 8, 2010: I go in for my 39 week check-up, which included an ultrasound. After seeing the ultrasound, my doctor finds that my little baby is looking to be not so little, over 10 pounds at this point, she decides to go ahead and schedule me for a C-Section the next available time (it also didn't help that I still wasn't dilated at all, so there was no telling when my little boy would be ready to come out). The next available day for the C-Section was the following Monday, so I have my pre-op on Friday and we enjoy our last weekend of just the two of us with Matt playing in his mid-season ultimate tournament and our good friend Daniel visiting as well (he will be the baby's Godfather).

Monday, July 12, 2010: Starting at midnight, I was not allowed to eat or drink anything until after my delivery. We arrive at the hospital at 11 and my IV of fluids is given to me. Once I am through one bag, I am given my epidural around 12:40, it kicks in quickly, and at 1 they roll me back to the OR and begin my C-Section. Matt is with me of course, and at 1:16 my baby boy, Walden Anthony Thompson, is born 11 lbs 6 oz and 23 inches long. For a big baby, he definitely was not chubby at all. He was very long and lean and had very good lungs to scream with. No one knows how this baby fit inside me because being 5'5" they do not see how I could carry anything much over 9 lbs. However, my baby boy had a very safe and healthy delivery for the both of us and by 3 I had my newborn in my arms.

Thursday, July 13, 2010: Matt and I head home to start our new life with baby Walden. Since I had a C-Section, I had 2 weeks where I was not allowed to do much, and what I did do, I had to be super careful. Granted it had only been a few days, I knew I was starting an amazing journey because I already couldn't imagine our lives without our brand new baby boy.
Sunday, September 19, 2010: Tomorrow Walden will be 10 weeks old, I am back to work teaching and coaching, and my life is getting an actual routine again. It is a pretty similar routine of work and coaching as it was last year, however instead of waking up between 5:30 and 6 each morning, I am now waking up at 4:30 to make sure I have plenty of time to get ready, feed Walden, eat/grab breakfast, and get to work on time. Instead of planning during my planning period, I spend it pumping to make sure that Walden has plenty of food while I am at home, and instead of staying after to get work done, I run out the door (when I don't have cheerleading) to get home to my little man.

My baby weight fell off very quickly, I was back in my jean miniskirt within a week and a half. I only gained 19 pounds during my pregnancy due to eating right-ish and staying active with work, coaching, and walking on a regular basis. However, I was not super skinny or what I would even call an "average" weight for my height and age before I got pregnant. Due to the risk of having a big baby, I spent over half of my pregnancy watching my sugar intake, so I have spent the past 10 weeks really enjoying my sweets again and just enjoying food without worrying if it would make me feel sick or not. It is now time to get my butt back in shape!!! All my baby weight fell in my stomach, boobs, and a little in my face (but not much), however my arms are bigger than I want them and my legs, which use to be nice and toned due to 16 years of dance and being super active, have now become less toned and started jiggling a little while I walk (they have NEVER done this before) since Walden was born (could have happened during my pregnancy, but I couldn't really see my legs to tell). Starting today, I am going to really work to get me to what I want to be for the 1st time since high school. Breastfeeding is really helping me lose weight faster than ever, but it is time to actually diet and exercise again so I can really get to where I want to be.

My Goal: Lose 30 pounds by Christmas the healthy way. I want to prove to myself I can do this by not restricting my diet to only certain foods, but by portion control. I want to still eat what I want and have a waffle cone of ice cream when I want, but I don't want to over-do it. To help with this, I am going to start Weight Watchers Online. This will allow me a certain number of points a week, so I know when I can reward myself and what not. I am also choosing the Weight Watchers program because it is one of the few that also takes into account that I am a breastfeeding mommy. On the days I can come straight home from work, I want to make myself go walking and enjoy the outdoors since it is turning into fall. I also want to start doing crunches, leg, and arm work-outs to help in those areas too. I used the Belly Bandit after my C-Section to help tighten things up a bit quicker and reduce swelling, but I am now at the point where I have to do the work and not rely on an "easy-out".

Starting Weight: As of today, I weigh 187

Measurements:
*Waist - 43 inches
*Arm - 12 inches
*Thigh - 22 inches

I will use this blog to talk about mommy stuff and to report my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment