Friday, September 4, 2009

The Fall....

I absolutely love the fall. It is a gorgeous time of year with all of the leaves changing colors, the weather starts to cool off, and football season starts up. This has always been one of my favorite times of year, but now it is also a sad time for me as well. With each new UGA football season that begins, I miss my dad more and more. He was always the happiest during the fall because the weather was where he could be outside at all times of day without worrying about getting too hot and he lived for UGA football. Today starts the 3rd UGA football season without him, and it doesn't get any easier. Just the talk of UGA football makes me miss him, but when I hear the UGA Redcoat Band play the National Anthem followed by the UGA Alma Mater and I see those "Silver Britches" run through that Georgia "G" run through in the opening game, when I hear "Glory Glory to Ole Georgia" for the first time each year, my eyes fill up with tears, my heart grows heavy, because my dad is not here with me to watch it. Fall is one of the happiest times for me, but also one of the most painful. My dad, who taught me all of the UGA cheers, band chants, and the UGA version of the Georgia Tech Fight Song, once told me that there is no happier place on Earth than section 107, rows 5 and 6, seats 1 and 2 in Sanford Stadium when those Good Ol' Dawgs tee it up between the hedges. Win or lose, the tradition and feeling of UGA football is so powerful, that it makes everything better. So, as college football kicks off this weekend, it is a bittersweet moment for me, as it has been the past 2 years, so it is perfect that I hear the song "Address in the Stars" by Caitlin and Wills for the first time. It is the first song I have heard that really gets how I feel about my dad across (for those of you who do not know, I live through music; for every mood and feeling, there is usually a song that defines it better than I can and now for the 1st time there is one to describe how I am feeling about my Daddy). I will close this blog with the lyrics. It is a country song, but I recommend anyone who has lost someone close to them to listen to it at least once.

Verse 1:
I stumbled across your picture today
I could barely breath
The moment stopped me cold,
Grabbed me like a thief.
I dialed your number, but you wouldn't be there
I knew the whole time, but it's still not fair
I just wanted to hear your voice,
I just needed to hear your voice.


Chorus:
What do I do with all I need to say
So much I wanna tell you everday
Oh it breaks my heart,
I cry these tears in the dark
I write these letters to you,
But they get lost in the blue,
'Cause there's no address in the stars.

Verse 2:
Now I'm drivin'
Through the pitch black dark
I'm screaming at the sky
Oh cause it hurts so bad
Everybody tells me
Oh all I need is time
Then the mornin' rolls in
And it hits me again
And that aint nothin' but a lie.

Chorus:
What do I do with all I need to say
So much I wanna tell you everday
Oh it breaks my heart,
I cry these tears in the dark
I write these letters to you,
But they get lost in the blue,
'Cause there's no address in the stars.

Verse 3:
Without you here with me,
I don't know what to do.
I'd give anything
Just to talk to you
Oh it breaks my heart,
Oh it breaks my heart,
All I can do
Is write these letters to you,
But there's no address in the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment